How we get there
Our Future Plans
Joy Meadows was formed as a not-for-profit corporation in the State of Kansas on August 30, 2017. The application with the IRS for 501(c)(3) status was approved in June, 2018 and Joy Meadows is now a non-profit. The first goal of the organization is to locate land in Leavenworth County, specifically the Basehor community, where a foster care community can be built. This area was chosen due to its excellent school district, support services available, and its central proximity to the four closest KVC offices in Leavenworth, Olathe, Kansas City, and Lawrence, each being within 20-25 minutes of Basehor.
- Phase 1 – Locate and purchase a minimum of 15 acres within the first year of operation. This will be accomplished through the capital campaign and/or donation in kind. (Update: Land found! Looking for investors/donors for purchase!).
- Phase 2 – Build the initial five homes of the community.
- Phase 3 – Build a multi-purpose building and playground.
- Phase 4 - It is a priority of Joy Meadows to operate debt-free. As funds and donations arise, we will continue to add/build as many additional homes as possible. We would love to see a neighborhood of 15-20 homes! We would also love to see a dedicated space for youth aging out of the system to transition to semi-independent living on the property.
UPDATE on Phase 1 Land Purchase:
- We have located our "First Choice" for land purchase which is a 24-acre tract of land (and option of additional 30 acres) within the Basehor-Linwood School District in Leavenworth County. It already has one large home over 3800 square feet with an unfinished basement that would be our 1st Joy Meadows home. The home also has an apartment that could house a teenage foster parent and foster child. The land has an multi-purpose building with office that would function as our Community Center. We could start housing kids right away and start serving foster families and children in the surrounding community at the Community Center! We are proceeding with the purchase of this tract as our First Choice through fundraising and/or individual sponsors to help purchase. We would need $750,000 to make this happen.
- "Second Choice" - we have looked at tracts of land at least 20 acres in size in both Linwood and in Basehor which are empty farmland. This investment would be about $200,000.
- Donated Land - We would build Joy Meadows anywhere within our target area if we receive a donation of land, so that all resources would go immediately toward building homes. Calling all families and farmers! We can take about 20 acres off of your hands for a good cause!
Schematic master plan
This Master Plan for Joy Meadows provides an idea of our vision for the Joy Meadows neighborhood. While the exact plan may change based upon the land we purchase, we want to have multiple homes, a multi-purpose building, playground, community garden, and other outdoor areas for the children and families to enjoy. The above Master Plan shows what we could do if we purchase our First Choice tract of land.
Our goal is to have unique homes that are each different, but with the common characteristics of being a welcoming place for a large family to live together.